When you go to the beach with children two things are import: fun and safety. In Tenerife, we have a variety of beaches for everyone. In this blog, we're sharing five of the best beaches on the island to visit with children.
Playa Las Teresitas beach - North East (Santa Cruz de Tenerife):
- Right next to Santa Cruz, in the fishing village San Andrés, you'll find the beach, Las Teresitas.
- Getting there: very close to the capital; if you have enough time, you can go by bicycle, or by car or bus (Titsa, green bus, number 910. The route is fast and comfortable.
- Location: as it is located in San Andrés, a fishing village, we recommend you combine your day at the beach with a delicious lunch (you get fresh fish in the restaurants, and even see the fishermen coming in and selling their fish)
- Sea and Sand: fine, golden sand and calm waters
- Services: parking, changing rooms, toilets, showers, sunbeds, Red Cross lifeguard service and Local Police, bars
- Fun: bouncy castle in the sea
Playa Las Vistas beach - South (Los Cristianos):
- Getting there: you can easily walk from Las Americas and from Los Cristianos. If you want to take the bus (Titsa green busses), it is the number 473 or from the North 110, 111 and 343.\
- Location: a tourist area with lots of atmosphere and plenty of coffee shops, restaurants, shops, Tourist Information centre… The promenade connects this beach with El Camisón beach, which is also a perfect beach to go with kids, and with Los Cristianos beach.
- Sea and Sand: fine sand and clear, calm waters thanks to the breakwater that protects against currents and waves
- Services: umbrellas, sunbeds, showers, toilets, bins and lifeguard service, cafes, restaurants, shops
- Fun: water sports activities
Playa El Médano beach "Blue Flag" - South (El Medano):
- Getting there: located on the coast of Granadilla, in the town of El Medano, in front of the square with the same name; only 5 km from the Reina Sofia airport. Bus numbers (green Titsa busses) to get there: 116, 470 and 483
- Location: surfer atmosphere; fun activities for all ages and a playground for children
- Sea and Sand: black and gold sands and waves
- Services: Lifeguard service, changing rooms, bins and showers, restaurants, bars, shops
- Fun: due to its climatic conditions it is perfect for windsurfing, kite boarding and kite flying
Playa Jardín beach "Blue Flag" - North (Puerto de la Cruz):
- Getting there: if you are in Puerto de la Cruz, you can easily walk as it is just 1.5 km from the center of the town. By bus (green Titsa bus) you should take the number 102 or 343; and from Los Gigantes it is number 325.
- Location: landscape designed by the great artist César Manrique; local nature is reflected in his creations. The beach is surrounded by exotic gardens leading to the sand, there is a children's area, a promenade, terraces and cafes.
- Sea and Sand: volcanic, soft dark-colored sand; calm area and waves for surfers
- Service: Lifeguard service, showers, sunbeds, changing rooms, toilets, bins and parking, restaurants, bars
- Fun: water sports, mainly surfing, playground for kids
Playa Fañabe beach "Blue Flag" - South (Costa Adeje):
Getting there: in Costa Adeje; if you are not spending your holiday in this area you can reach it by car or bus (green Titsa busses: numbers 110, 111, 343, 416 or 473).
- Location: promenade that links to another family beach, called Torviscas. Both are located in an exclusive shopping area with restaurants, coffee shops, Tourist Information Centre, etc.
- Sea and Sand: Fine volcanic sand and calm waters, no waves or wind
- Services: Lifeguards, sunbeds, Balinese beds and umbrellas, bars, parking, showers, changing rooms, toilets, bins, access for disabled people and taxi.
- Fun: ocean bouncy castle, rent of pedal boats, jet skis, fly fish, parasailing, banana, etc.
While we've shared our 5-favorite kid-friendly Tenerife beaches here, one blog post is too short to cover everything you should do with families in Tenerife! To learn more, check out our blog on Family activities here.